Burdastyle 06/2017 102



 A bell sleeved blouse had been part of my summer plan since the northern hemisphere summer.  I was drawn to the floaty sleeves and the classic shape of the bodice.  My Stylebook App tells me that this type of blouse is a real workhorse in my wardrobe so I knew it would fit in well.

The pattern I chose is Burdastyle 06/2017 102.  This is one of several patterns in this particular issue of Burdastyle that I am keen to make up.  I am loving Burdastyle patterns at the moment!


I drew my pattern up to size 38 but graded out to size 40 at the hips.  This is something I normally do with Burdastyle.  To make my life as easy as possible I use a Sharpie on plastic.  This way it is nice and easy to see the correct lines.  I always add my seam allowances to my pattern as I go.


The fabric I chose is a mystery crepe that I bought from Fabric Vision's sale table.  The yoke I lined with some cream lining from my stash and I also used this for the neck facing.  
Despite making my usual sz38, I found this top to be very wide in the shoulders.  It took quite a bit of adjusting to get it fitting nicely and I think I may have slightly over fit it.


To hem the sleeves, I folded them under 1cm and stitched them down using large basting stitches.  I then folded them again and stitched my hem.  Once I had them sitting nicely I removed the basting stitches.


To finish the blouse I overlocked the hem and folded it up by 2.5cm before stitching it.  If I were to make it again, I would probably turn the hem up twice.


My only real regret is I didn't take the time to french seam the bell part of the sleeve.  I know the overlocked seam is not really noticeable to anyone else but I know it is there.  Despite this, I really love the resulting blouse.  I love the way the blouse floats in the spring breeze.  What I don't like is the way the sleeves catch on door handles and the like so I really have to be careful when wearing it.

Comments

  1. This is such a pretty top! Maybe if the seams are really bothering you, you could unpick them and redo them? it probably wouldn't take very long. It looks fantastic with your red skirt ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hadn't thought of unpicking the seams. The magic wardrobe may solve the problem. I would be a little concerned about opening a can of worms with such a delicate fabric.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts