Ginger Bermudas




Each spring I make myself a new pair of shorts.  For the last 4-5 years my pattern of choice has been Sewaholic Thurlow.  This year, I had in mind something different.  I really wanted a pair of bermuda shorts with longer legs which are more suitable for cool mornings and evenings in spring.  I find the Thurlow pattern while completely suitable for beach wear is not so suitable for wearing in the city, well not for a 40 something year old anyway! 


I bought a pair of rtw denim bermudas last year from Kmart but although they are practical, I am not entirely happy with the fit.  Now that I have perfected the fit of my own jeans and shorts., I am extra picky with anything ready to wear.  This is probably the reason I buy very little ready to wear these days.  I knew that based on Closet Case Files Ginger Jeans and my Kmart shorts, I could come up with something better.


I copied my Ginger pattern and straightened out the legs.  From memory I straightened them 3cm on both the inside and outside leg seams. I then went in search for a remnant in my stash to make them out of.  I found a piece of grey coated stretch denim that was left over from my Ginger jeans.  I had just enough with a bit of pattern tetris to cut them out.  I had absolutely nothing left over. 
 For the waistband and pocket linings I used a shirt my husband no longer wore.  The grey top stitching thread was left over from my original Gingers.


The rivets and button  I chose are antique bronze.  I went with this colour over antique silver because this is the colour of my zipper teeth.  These were bought to make my last pair of jeans.























I am really pleased with how these turned out.  They proved a great addition to my holiday wardrobe and will be on regular wardrobe rotation this spring.  My fitbit told me that while I was in Sydney I was walking around 25000 steps per day so comfort was essential.  These definitely ticked the comfort box. 

The above photos were taken at Darling Harbour, Sydney

Comments

  1. Very nice! And great reuse of the old shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like reusing fabrics in this sort of way. It is especially helpful on the budget.

      Delete
  2. How cleaver. I just ditched both my ready to wear ones, coz fit! You've inspired me to think about a new pair of me made ones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like rtw shorts now especially now I have great patterns.

      Delete
  3. These look really nice.
    I will be keen to know how the fabric, inside, waistband wears. I love the detail but I always worry it will go to holes.
    The rivets amp up the professional look too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually line my waistbands with lighter fabric. This one is 100% cotton and I interfaced it as well. It should be fine.

      Delete
  4. Lovely details and they look very professionally made. Awesome fit too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shorts. Would have loved to show you my favourite fabric secrets in Sydney...next visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been great Gail but travelling with 3 males, fabric shopping time was extremely limited. I did manage 15 minutes in Pitt Trading and half an hour in Tessuti. That was my total in 10 days in Aus!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts