Didn't Make the Cut



 Packing for holidays is always a bit of a lottery.  I have tried packing for all possible situations and also the minimalist approach. This time I aimed for somewhere in between.  Knowing I had no laundry facilities for a week, minimalist was not an option.  I think this top was the only thing in my bag that came home unworn.  I think I would label this top a failure, although not totally because there are things I do like about it.  I love the neckline and the arm bands but I do not like the way it sticks out unattractively at the front.  This reminds me of a maternity top and having been the wearer of maternity tops in the past, admittedly reluctantly, the whole idea of maternity tops sends me into a cold sweat.  




The fabric in this top is somewhat sheer which does not help the cause and does not drape at all well.  I think made in a rayon it may well sit very nicely but a cotton shirting does not do the pattern justice.  The pattern is Tessuti Alice, which looks lovely on everyone I have seen it on so far which just added to my disappointment with this one.  Fortunately I chose to trial the pattern in a piece of op shop fabric so the only real investment I made was time.  While on holiday, I couldn't even bring myself to wear it for a photo. 


I actually consider myself fortunate to come home with any photos after leaving my camera at home on the dining room table and inadvertently packing my daughters boyfriends camera instead, complete with zoom lens only and no charger!  Fortunately my daughter realised our mistake before I went through airport security and rushed mine out to me....phew lucky save!

Comments

  1. Are you going to get rid of it? I'm trying to discard clothes that make me feel dowdy as I realize it. Sometimes it's a tough call.
    :-) Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, this one will be going to charity. Someone else can love it far more than I ever will.

      Delete
  2. Fabric choice can be crucial to the success or failure of a project. I'm sure this would look great in a softer, drapier fabric. Just think of this one as a muslin. I'm sure your next version will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree and think it would have looked much better in perhaps a rayon.

      Delete
  3. What a good daughter! I'm going to be honest and suggest that this style of top is not for you (or me either!) Gathering above the bust line doesn't work for anyone over 40. If you can bear it, I'd unpick and remake the bottom half without the gathering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I disagree about wearing things based on age, generally. I think body shape and fabric choice play a far greater role. Being an hour glass shape, I should have known better and chosen a style that was more suited to my body type which is one that shows off my waist and not disguises it. As for the fabric, it contains no drape which causes the poffiness. I wont bother unpicking it but if I made it to the pattern again, I would remove most of those gathers and just leave enough to be interesting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts