Burda Style Dress


After the success of my Burdastyle 04/2013 top, I shopped my stash and found some lovely medium weight op shop linen in the darkest of browns. On showing it to Courteney she vetoed the whole idea.  I slept on it a bit longer but could not give up on my linen shift so I dug around in my stash a bit deeper and found a piece of yellowing vintage lace that my mother had gifted me. 





After a bath in bleach the now snow white lace was destined to be my trim.  I cut the lace so as to just avoid the bust darts and proceeded to assemble my dress identically to the top overlaying the lace on my dress front only.



Unfortunately I forgot all about my previous dart and side seam alterations so a certain amount of unpicking was required. 




Once again, unlike the pattern, I finished the keyhole back, button loop, neckline and armholes with self made binding.  I then hand stitched the lace across the front, just catching every third circle of lace.



I really like the end result and while not voluminous as Tessuti's version it is cool and comfortable to wear.



Comments

  1. Gorgeous. The linen and lace combo is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Brown is not one of my colours so I needed to do something to lift it.

      Delete
  2. This is beautiful! I love the linen/lace combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It does give some interest to an otherwise plain dress.

      Delete
  3. Lovely dress. The lace is a wonderful detail that lifts an otherwise plain dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It would be very plain without the lace and I doubt the colour would do anything for me.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous vintage lace and beautiful linen. I do believe you are the luckiest fabric op shopper of all time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would like to think I was the luckiest but I wish I had the time to pop in more and get more bargains.

      Delete
  5. So cute! I really love the lace detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margo! I love the lace as well. I was tempted to save it for something special but sometimes it is better just to go with it because the something special may never present itself.

      Delete
  6. I really like the combo of the lace and linen. The dress looks so cool and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts