Active Pursuits



 Courteney had a holiday planned at the end of  December with friends.  Australians will be familiar with the term schoolies and this was our version, a trip for high school graduates to celebrate the end of the year and graduation, or translated, something to be avoided if you are over 18 years old.  She planned to swim while on this holiday and asked me to make her a bikini.  She didn't want any bikini though, she requested one that would stay on.  I would have thought that would be a prerequisite with any swimwear but it appears that a lot of what can be bought in the shops does not perform this function well during any form of active swimming.  It seems that this type of swimwear is more suited to sunning one self on the beach, an activity that is not encouraged due to New Zealands harsh sun and high skin cancer risk.

Our pattern of choice for the bottoms is M'Calls 5400 in size 10, and should come as no surprise to my regular readers given I have lost count of the pairs I have made using this pattern. 





 Courteney's top pattern of choice is Jalie 3247.  This pattern is designed to be used with fold over elastic but I had different ideas.  I added 1cm to the edges that required the application of elastic and attached swimwear elastic.  The fabric I chose was nylon spandex from Spandex House.  I lined the top with white swimwear lining from The Remnant Warehouse.


This was a really quick make.  On trying the top on though, Courteney did request cup liners for the top.  Since it is complete now, this required that I hand stitch them in but for future versions I will add an extra layer of lining and pockets to insert them.  She is however really happy with the performance of the set and has requested a second set.



Comments

  1. I know what you mean about bathers more suited for sunning than swimming! These look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, they have come in very useful this summer.

      Delete
  2. These look perfect for swimming activities. Your daughter is very lucky to have such a clever Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your daughter's criteria for togs. Very sensible. And nicely made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She still likes the regular bikinis but reserves this one for actual swimming.

      Delete
  4. What a cute bikini! The fabric is so fun and perfect for a teenager. It looks great! :)
    We call it "leavers" in Western Australia, although maybe it could be called "schoolies" in other parts of Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bikini looks great. I am very impressed with your daughter. In the east we call it schoolies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Don't get me wrong, she still wears her regular bikini but never a one piece and this set replaces the traditional one piece training suit.

      Delete
  6. Your daughter is very sensible. My daughter 'swam' at schoolies, but didn't get her hair wet because it wouldn't look good. Vanity and stupidity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha funny! My daughter is actually quite sporty so anything active is always on her radar.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts