Raspberry Sorbetto


I arrived home from work last Thursday, to find out my daughter who was procrastinating from studying, had cleaned the house from top to bottom.  Fantastic, I had a three day weekend ahead and no chores!  What is a girl to do; sew of course!





I began with a pattern that has been on my radar for quite some time, Colette Sorbetto.  I had some very bright pink floral seersucker that I wasn't sure what to do with and found a remnant of pink gingham in my leftovers basket.  I knew the two were destined to be together.  I whipped down to the mall and picked up a bias binding maker to make the job easier.  Up until now, I had made binding manually.  This little tool is a revelation.  Why had I waited this long to buy one of these things!  They are worth their weight in gold.  I made the Sorbetto up in a size 4 and lengthened the pattern to the larges size.  I graded to a size 6 in the hips.  I really like this top and I know there will be more.



It was while I was making my Sorbetto, that I had a brainwave!  I had tragically spilled bleach on my lovely linen shift dress earlier in the week rendering it useless.  After mourning it's loss for a few days and berating myself for my carelessness, I whipped out the zip and using the useful pieces, a remnant of compressed dacron, and the leftovers from my Sorbetto, I made a bag.  I feel a whole lot better about the demise of one of my favourite dresses now!  As a bonus, it is the perfect size work tote.  I can fit in my diary, morning tea, and a cardigan and my keys, phone and other little essentials all live in the two small interior pockets. 


Comments

  1. Your top and bag are both cute! I still make my bias manually as well, but it sounds like I need to get one of those makers, too. How did you decide what size to buy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I bought the 3/4" even though the pattern stipulates 1''. I figured I would get more use from it.

      Delete
  2. Looks super ~ I do love the Sorbetto pattern! Could I also ask about the bias maker - any chance of you doing a quick little blog post about it - sounds like something we all could do with ... J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I can do that! I have more tops to make so will get my camera out when I do!

      Delete
  3. Ah - the ingenuity of the mighty female!! Well done. Both the shirt and the bag look great. I love seersucker but have yet to sew with it. Does it stretch with all the little slouchy bits? Bias binding can make a quick and very professional looking finish. Congratulations. Cheers, Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, seersucker is lovely and stable. Good looks and nice to work with is a winner in my books.

      Delete
  4. I love your Sorbetto! I`ve made one and I definitely plan to make another.

    And how smart are you for reincarnating your dress as a bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. There will be more Sorbettos here as well, as soon as I find something to make them out of.

      Delete
  5. Eye catching little top. Very bright and summery. I too have just sewn some seersucker. Plain white but a delight to sew

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that fabric for your Sorbetto - it reminds me of a skirt I had in Grade 11 (1977!). Those beautiful daisies and the pink... I spilled nail polish on mine - right down the front and couldn't wear it again...I feel your pain. At least you can get some enjoyment from your old dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it annoying when you put so much time into something and then ruin it. I bet it wouldn't have happened if I didn't like the dress!

      Delete
  7. I too love the fabric of your Sorbetto - bring on summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love shell tops and your colour choice is eyepoppingly gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am trying to focus on things more useful and less frivolous at the moment and this fits the category.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts