Things That Make Me Smile





 
With an impending camping holiday looming, it was time to make sure my camping wardrobe was in order.  Despite living in dresses and skirts at this time of year, a camping holiday requires a change of wardrobe and indeed lifestyle.  Instead of clock watching and timetables, camping requires more of a laid back approach to dressing and indeed living.  No clocks or timetables required and certainly no skirts or heels .  My camping wardrobe involves, shorts, swimwear, tops (usually without sleeves), jandals, sneakers and one warm outfit for the odd inclement day and cooler evenings.




Initially I had the remnants of my Megan Nielsen skirt ear marked for another skirt but decided, given the lovely rtw floral shorts I had seen this season, that this is what this piece of leftover fabric was destined for.  I, unsurprisingly chose Sewaholic Thurlow as the pattern for these shorts because as far as comfort goes these shorts are fantastic.  The only problem was, that I did not have quite enough fabric to complete the project.  Fortunately, the old op shop fabric stash came to the rescue in the form of some lovely black light weight linen.  I decided that the waist band was to be cut in this linen, but how to tie the two fabric together without looking like a mismatched cobbled together pair of shorts.  The answer came in the form of some over sized belt loops.  The addition of the larger than usual belt loops, I feel, draws the eye away from the solid coloured waist band.  I also used the plain black for the pocket bags and only used my lovely print fabric for the bits that were on show.


Because I was desperately short of fabric, I did not have enough even to make some welt pockets and I felt that the addition of these would actually make the back look a little busy anyway.  I hemmed the shorts using a 12cm rolled hem and then folded them back by 4cm before stay stitching them at the side seams.

I realise when I look at this photo now that the waist band looks puckered but actually this is a trick of the camera and the waistband does actually sit perfectly flat....or maybe it is my ironing skills, ironing being my least favourite chore and all!


These shorts are the perfect fit and I always feel when I wear shorts made in this pattern that it was actually designed just for me.  I guess that is the measure of the perfect pattern.


I don't know whether you noticed but these shorts featured in my Making It Work post a couple of days ago.  These shorts were in regular rotation during my holiday.

Comments

  1. I really like these shorts and I do think the belt loops blend the solid waistband right into the design. It looks intentional. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That is the look I was hoping for. I figured, I usually wear long tops anyway so worst case scenario you wouldn't see it anyway.

      Delete
  2. Luckily ironing and camping just don't mix! The shorts are fantastic - enjoy the camping break away from everyday routines...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Judith. Sadly dh is back to work today so no excuse not to iron!

      Delete
  3. A lovely pair of shorts... Great idea with the black as it is not noticeable. This pattern is on my list as is the Minorou jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you. I can not speak highly enough of both patterns. They are amount my all time favourites. I have another Minoru planned for next winter.

      Delete
  4. Very cute shorts! Happy New Year Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was a little worried about looking like mutton dressed as lamb but I think because the background is black it tones the floral down a little and makes the shorts more grown up. Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  5. My first thought was - it looks great. Did not take notice of the different fabric for the waistband at all. I actually like how the belt loops stand out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how something that starts out as a compromise ends up being anything but.

      Delete
  6. Andrea! Did you know all patterns and fabric are half price at lincraft at the moment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My oldest son delivered the advertising leaflet and was very good at letting me know about it. I have already been in and bought a piece for an upcoming project. Thanks for letting me know though.

      Delete
    2. I wondered why there was nothing left - shoulda known it was you! Just kidding, Sophie and I building up quite a collection... May need a trailer to take it all home.

      Delete
    3. Cheeky lol! You did better than me. I spent half an hour in the queue for one piece of fabric for me and one for Courteney plus a few notions while a couple of crazy quilters argued the price of their bill with the checkout operator. I am not sure which is more frustrating Lincraft or Spotlight.

      Delete
  7. Those are gorgeous shorts! They are an excellent fit on you, and the fabric choice is lovely. I'd have never thought of it for shorts - good thing that you did, because it's perfect! I have discovered over the past year that I don't actually wear shorts, despite owning a couple of pairs! Looks like some more things for me to send to the op shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I don't often wear shorts, preferring them for beach wear or bike riding. The funny thing about these shorts is though, I prefer them to the skirt that I actually bought the fabric for.

      Delete
  8. fab!! I love the purple button too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure whether to go with purple or black but then chose to live on the wild side :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts