What is Green and Skinny?


And no, I am not referring to a wonder diet but my latest version of Jalie Jeans.  I bought this green acid wash fabric online a while ago when my search for coloured denim in the fabric shops turned up nothing.  The trouble is, by the time the fabric arrived my daughter had talked me into a rtw pair which is why this fabric has taken me so long to make up.  I now wished I had waited because I am thrilled with this latest and very colourful addition to my wardrobe.

Like my previous pairs of non stretch denim, I added 1.5cm to each side seam when I cut them out and just fitted them when they were nearly complete.  I actually ended up running them in quite a bit in places but using this technique I have ended up with ease where I need it the most.

 
For the topstitching and the decoration on the pockets, I used regular sewing thread which I picked up at Lincraft.  To make the stitching more visible on the pockets, I used a decorative bar tack stitch.
 
Because I have made so many of these jeans now, I whipped these up pretty quickly and without incident but using my new sewing machine did present me with the odd problem.  It could have been the needle I was using, because it wasn't new, but my machine did not like the denim even though I would class it as a mid weight denim.  I had to drag out my 50 year old Bernina Record for the thick areas. 
 
I can report though, that my new machine makes fantastic button holes.  The instructions in the book were less than adequate so it took me quite a few attempts to get them right.  I finally worked out that the fabric is supposed to be sandwiched between the two metal layers on the button hole foot.  Buttonholes in the past have been somewhat of a nemesis so long may it continue.
 
 
 

Comments

  1. These are superb! Perfect for Spring. The colour is fantastic. It takes me a whole day to sew jeans, so I am impressed that you can whip them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I say whip them up, don't be fooled....it isn't always in one sitting. This particular pair were created piece meal one hour at a time over the course of the week!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous colour!!! Love them and the fit is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the coloured too. My teenage daughter has a similar coloured in her wardrobe so I must be on trend. I am quite pleased with the fit. It has only taken me 5 pairs to perfect it!

      Delete
  3. Ver nice!! I've just made some new jeans for spring too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have done such a good job of the fitting and the colour is so trendy - I wonder if you will ever buy jeans again ! They look really great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to say no to rtw, but it is just so hard to find nice fabric.

      Delete
  5. I very nearly bought a pair of emerald green jeans today, but didn't because as usual the fit was terrible. You got an amazing fit with these jeans, I might have to invest in this pattern and hope mine turn out nearly as well as yours have

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly recommend this pattern especially if like me, you have a curvy shape. I do regret the rtw ones now because the fit is not nearly as good

      Delete
  6. I love the color of your jeans. You definitely have achieved a perfect fit. I agree with you on how hard it is to find good fabrics for jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely jeans. I really like the green. Yay for the old Bernina coming to the rescue. I have a Bernina 1130, which is over 20 years old but I love it to bits and can't imagine using anything else (apart from my emergency Bernina 801 sport for when the main machine is being serviced)! I hope your new machine lives up to expectations once you get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am pretty happy with my new machine but it is funny, the old one was a bit like a favourite pair of slippers and yes the new one is taking some getting used to but is definitely showing promise. You really can't go passed Bernina for reliablity but I must admit to quite liking the bells and whistles on my new Juki. I like the green too! There appears to be a bit of green creeping into my wardrobe this season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic jeans - great fit and the colour is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh to have a TNT pattern for jeans . I really hope I can get to that point some day. These are just awesome !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly recommend the Jalie pattern....works for me every time.

      Delete
  11. What fantastic jeans! I want to steal everything that you've been making lately. The colour is superb, and the fit looks great. I have been avoiding sewing jeans because of fitting issues - maybe I should give the Jalie pattern a try. If I can find good coloured denim, that is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think finding the right coloured denim is perhaps the biggest challenge. Given that since the earthquake we only have one real quality fabric shop other than Lincraft and Spotlight, it just adds to the challenge.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts