4 Day Weekend
.
This weekend was mid term break so we took the opportunity before the winter hit to get out of town.
.
My oldest son had been asking to go to Kaikoura to see the baby seals since summer (wnter is breeding season). We weren't sure quite where we were going or about to see but the two hour drive was worth it and we were rewarded with one of the most awesome sights I think I have every seen. We parked the car on the foreshore at what my son assured me was the correct spot and walked 10 minutes into the bush along a track beside a stream. At the end was a huge waterfall with a pool at the base which was teaming with baby seals. There must have been 50 baby seals in the pool. They were about the size of a small dog and all frolicking and playing in the pool. They were very curious and came right up to us but we were careful not to touch them in case they bit. They were just soo cute!!! My youngest son wanted to take one home....not sure how that would work once it got bigger!
.
After leaving the waterfall we drove further down the coast and found some adult seals. They were most likely males as aparently they leave the breeding females and bask further down the coast. The third photo above shows my oldest son standing on a rocky outcrop with an adult seal basking in the foreground, by the chimney.

Comments

Popular Posts